Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Hello Friends!  I'm still here.  I'm a VERY bad blogger these days, only slightly less so when it comes to quilting - but the days are full and life is great.
Let me start by apologizing to those of you who have tried, in vain, to contact me by leaving a comment on a post.  I have a vague remembrance of setting my comments to 'moderation' but did not realize that I would actually have to check in to see that there were comments pending.  I thought any comments would continue to arrive in my email box where I would see them and publish from there.  I couldn't have been wronger!  So sincere apologies and thanks for checking in on me over these last empty blogging months.  I'm here, I'm good and I do intend to keep this blog alive, though probably not with any sort of regularity that there was in years past.
So what has been happening?  Not much in the way of quilting.  At least nothing that could be considered finished.  Here is the evidence of my shame:
I do not know, nor do I care to count, how many tops are in this basket.  But this represents the last 3 years of my work give or take a couple that actually did ascend to full-fledged quiltdom.  And while I do feel a certain measure of shame at my inability to finish a project, that has NOT stopped me from continuing to start new things.
This one has now reached the stage where it can be folded to join its brethren in the basket of incompletes.
But why stop there?  
With a partner in crime, I have taken on Cheri Payne's Common Threads quilt.  Our stated goal was a block a week.  That has smoothed out to something more like - a week or two of no progress with a burst of two or three blocks completed all at once.  Whatever it takes for us to encourage, drag, cajole or otherwise get the quilt made, it's okay by me.  Who knows, maybe I'll even get it quilted?
So what am I doing with my time instead of making quilts?  Well, I joined a gym.  Scratching your head?  I know I still am as I came to the decision voluntarily.  Initially my plan was to swim laps but the chlorine was making my hair crappy and it was difficult to find a time when the pools was not crowded.  So in an even MORE puzzling and very unlike me move, I started taking yoga classes which then lead to Pilates classes.  Honestly, I'm shaking my head as I just read those words on the screen.  Two classes of each each week.  I'm also doing a lot of walking.  I walk somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 or so miles per week.  Hubby and I are planning on walking a 5k in November to celebrate his successful surgery.  Then in January we are planning on walking a half marathon with The Princess, some sisters-in-law, a few cousins, their families and some friends,  It should be a fun weekend.
We still enjoy frequent and regular visits to The Happiest Place On Earth.  This Hipster Mickey shirt is my most recent acquisition.  I know I border a little on Disney obsession, but Hipster Mickey really appeals to me.
Then just to keep things from getting dull, last weekend Hubby and I joined in a free ukulele lesson offered by a local music shop.  30 minutes of instruction gave us the ability to strum 4 different chords.  It was fun.  Honestly, you cannot be unhappy when a ukulele is being played.
So we bought our very own, along with a bag, a tuner, a book of music.  And suddenly that 'free' class wasn't so free anymore.  Of course, I get more practice time during the day.  We are both able to play Happy Birthday at this point.  There are more (paid) classes in August.  We are definitely signing up.  Who knows, maybe I'll break out that guitar I've had since I was 12 and have never learned to play. 
And then there's Larkin.
Anytime I might have that would feel like 'free time' is  filled by her.  She celebrated her 2nd birthday in June.  She is beginning to mature  . . . just a little, and does not require constant attention and monitoring.  We play and talk a lot.  She is quite the little comedienne.  But she's sweet and snuggly, too.  There was a time we gave her the nickname The Pickle.  She just didn't seem to want to learn what we needed her to learn.  That nickname has morphed in the Sweet Pickle, she's not so vinegary anymore.
If you've stayed with me this long, congratulations.  This has been a long and rambling post.  I don't make promises on when I'll be back, but I will.  Tomorrow marks the beginning of my 9th year with this blog, I've no intention of stopping now  . . . . just maybe slowing down a little.







21 comments:

Gail said...

I was so glad to see your post! I too have been slow blogging these days, sigh. Although not quite as busy as you are I am managing to not sew anything! Glad to know you'll be checking in from time to time. Enjoy life, blessed be!

Diane said...

hello
glad to hear from you and you're having a fun time!

WoolenSails said...

I am bad with unquilted tops too, but I am working on working on my stash and smaller projects. Glad to see you are enjoying your summer and I think we are all guilty of being outside more than in our sewing rooms, this time of year.

Debbie

Sharon said...

Glad to hear life is good!

Lorraine said...

Good to see your post and read that life is good with you! I haven't joined a gym, but have been going to Pilates classes and am quite addicted to walking (as is Rose who reminds me if I seem to be sleeping too late!) I walk around 25 miles a week and with winter upon us here I am enjoying the cold mornings. (so not a summer person!) I have seen a number of posts from people who are spending less time on their blogs in favour of Instagram and FB but I still like to read blogs and will be keeping mine as well - if nothing else it is a great journal for me to look back on! I haven't had the opportunity to visit your happy place...maybe I need to include it in my itinerary for my next visit to your wonderful country! Dreamin' and plannin' :)

Juliann in WA said...

Welcome back. I have a basket like that too. The uke is fun! My daughter plays and gives lessons. EnJOY

Dawn said...

Bind the tops, call them summer spreads and you are done!
Nice to read all is well in Paradise:-)

Melanie said...

So glad to see you post. Seems like you are living life to the fullest. Those projects will keep--- until you want to work on them or decide to part with them. The Mickey Pic is darling and you'll need to You Tube your first Ukulele concert...

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Life sounds wonderful Libby, amazing that "sweet pickle" is two already! I would be loving all things Disney too if I lived close by! I am a small town girl, LA really puts me out of my comfort zone.
Good to hear from you, I am as bad of blogger so no problems here.

Primitive Blessings,
Carrie

AnnieO said...

Quilty folded goodness isn't something to hide! Love the star. On my list...
The gym has never beckoned me, but that's a great transition from walking! There is a ukelele shop here in town near my daughters salon, seems so sweet to strum a tinny tune! Enjoy your summer!

Sue... said...

Hi Libby,
Glad your back and life is good for you!
Sue..

annie said...

great post! :)

Hogan's Adventure said...

I love your blog, especially any news about Larkin. We got our Lucy about the same time Larkin came to live with you. She also is finally getting her brain and not as needed as she was. She is a sweet, sweet girl!!

Gayle said...

So good to hear from you today! Thanks for the update

Quilter Kathy said...

So nice to hear the news:)
It's never too late to teach an old quilter new tricks!
Ukulele... sounds like fun!
Pilates...not so much!

Claudia said...

Nice to read your blog again. I too am having trouble blogging on a regular basis.

suz said...

welcome back - so glad I see you on Facebook, so I know you are well - is the quilt you had laid out in the previous post a flimsy? You need to do a Facebook video of the ukulele playing for us!

Linda said...

So glad I stumbled on your blog this am.. I think you speak for many.. I have not had internet for weeks(vacation) and came home to none and still did not finish one quilt! But I did enjoy your blog!! Until next time.

Lori said...

You've been blogging 9 years?! That's awesome!!
Does larkin go walking with you? What a commitment to do a 1/2 marathon! That is exciting! One of these days I'd like to run a Disney one.
Love the quilt you are making.

Shakerwood said...

Wow ...... missed this. Haven't even looked at mine in a month!

Chookyblue...... said...

not sure if my comment went thru........glad to see your posting.........