Monday, October 13, 2014

Earlier today I was having a 'text chat' with a friend about weekend events. Chat soon turned to 'what are you up to today? '  LAUNDRY.  I try always to wash on Mondays just like Grandma's dish towels told me to. My friend says she knows a little song about wash day Mondays. Whatever it takes to get the chore done, right?
She also noted that when she feels put upon shuffling loads, folding,  putting away, and *gasp* even ironing, she will remind herself of the many women around the world who haul water or even haul the laundry to the water. She's right! We have it pretty good with clean water and modern equipment.
I was thinking about all of this as I was running the vacuum cleaner.  Not sweeping with a broom or lugging carpets outside to beat the dust out of them. Just rolling around the floors in my daily dance letting the machine suck the dust, dirt, crumbs, dog hair and threads right up off the floor.
As I write this, I am taking my domestic skills to the very limit. Our weather has cooled sufficiently that I am running the self-cleaning cycle on the oven. Excuse me while I dab my glistening brow.
And what shall I do for the next four hours? In between folding loads of laundry,  I'm going to do a little embroidery. I'm working on a Christmas gift exchange piece.  I dare not show more right now because it's a secret.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I like The Waltons tv show very much. My husband used to say I should have lived in that time period. But when you look at how hard daily chores could be, I think not.

Nana said...

I think we all complain often when we should be counting our blessings. I love being home and doing the chores required. I get a lot of fun(sewing) done each day in between. Life's great...

WoolenSails said...

I do appreciate our modern conveniences, but I wish bathrooms cleaned themselves, lol.

Debbie

Dawn said...

Secret stitching with a tease photo is fun.