Thursday, October 02, 2014

Hexagon Stars - by the numbers:
First fabric cut - January ?, 2006
Last stitch  - October 1, 2014
Finished size - 49" X 56"
Hexagon size - 1/2"
Number of hexagons - 5,291 (give or take)
Pieced & quilted by hand (though I used the machine to assemble back)
Traveled to four countries,  numerous states, lived at four different addresses, has worn hair from three dogs.
I don't know if this quilt was a labor of love so much as a labor of desire. I saw a photo in a quilt documentation book and fell in love. No information other than finished quilt dimensions were available.  I just took a leap and started stitching.
Along the way I determined this quilt would never be finished if I attempted to make it bed-sized. So I regrouped, put this aside and got to work on a different design that would. Still this quilt never left my mind and I continued to dabble with it every now and again.
Each stitch, though not perfect,  is placed with earnestness. Today I certainly call myself a quilter!

28 comments:

Mad about Craft said...

Fantastic!!!!!

susis quilts said...

really just fantastic!!!

Kathy in FL said...

Me, three... Fantastic! I'm inspired to begin one of my own.

WoolenSails said...

That is gorgeous and well worth finishing. I enjoy doing hexagons and it is a nice project to work on when you want to do hand quilting and relax.

Debbie

Gail said...

Just gorgeous! Aren't you glad you did it? Aren't you over the moon it's finished? Of course you are a quilter!

dortha said...

That is just beautiful. Something to be proud of.

Carmen Sutton said...

Awesome no other word

Gayle said...

I have loved watching the progress on this quilt through the years. Thanks for sharing your journey with us - I LOVE it!

Karen said...

Glad to see the finished quilt. Do you have another hexagon quilt in the works?

Lisa A said...

Many congratulations! It's truly a wonder!

Lisa A said...

Many congratulations! It truly is a wonderful thing!

Nana said...

Beautiful!!! can't believe all those 1/2" hexies. You are definitely a quilter!

Jenny M said...

Wow! Now that is dedication, well done!

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Yes You Are!!! I remember when you started this quilt, it is absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

Dawn said...

It is fabulous. I am so glad I got to see it in process, and look forward to visiting it again.
I love the last stitch photo too.
Congratulations!

KC Quilter said...

Congratulations! It is spectacular!!!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Wow - it is just amazing though! I don't know if I have the patience to complete a quilt like this...I adore it!

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

So glad you finished and so glad you posted. I've always wondered about this quilt and if you'd finished it. It's stunning!! It's your masterpiece I would say!!!

Lori said...

It is absolutely amazing! Over the top incredible!

Sue... said...

It's beautiful, well done you! I have followed it's progress and am so pleased that you finished it, love that last stitch photo,
Sue...

Mary Truax said...

wonderful. awe inspiring. cheers to you.

AnnieO said...

Giving you a whoop whoop! That quilt had a place in your heart and now a forever place among your treasures! Congratulations!

antique quilter said...

in AWE I have watched you make this quilt over the years…its really beautiful I am so glad you finished it.
a treasure.
Kathie

Texan said...

awwww its done!!!!! This and the hex you did before! So inspiring and simply gorgeous!

Dixie said...

Ah, what a beautiful finish! Bravo to you!

suz said...

I think this project is how I discovered your blog! so lovely to see it finished!

suz said...

I think this project is how I discovered your blog! so lovely to see it finished!

Quilter Kathy said...

Amazing... congratulations!