Monday, October 06, 2014

The Wish Quilt

At the end of August, I was asked to make a quilt for  Hubby's cousin. She had just been diagnosed with leukemia and faced a 28 - day hospital stay for an aggressive round of chemo.
Of course,  I said yes. And got straight to work (after a quick trip to the quilt shop.)
Favorite colors are purple,  orange and lime green. I chose 1/4 yard cuts of 4 purples, 4 greens, and a half yard of orange and some Kona snow. I decided to make Carpenter's Star as the center then just started adding various borders until I achieved a size that seemed good.
I started the quilt on a Saturday afternoon,  put the last stitch in the following Wednesday, ran it through the laundry,  and delivered it to the hospital on her first day of chemo the next Saturday.
She loves it!

11 comments:

Patti said...

Oh what a wonderful gift! So special to hold onto while undergoing such a difficult trial.
I love your header - a few of our favorite places on a trip to CA a few years ago...
Blessings, Patti

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful quilt and a wonderful gift that she can be comforted in.

Debbie

Dawn said...

Wow, when you kick I to quilt mode you mean business! Best wishes for her journey to remission. It's a great quilt.

quiltsbycheri said...

no better gift of love and comfort....such uplifting colors

Lorraine said...

Beautiful quilt and a wonderful gift to bring comfort at a difficult time.

barbara woods said...

beautiful quilt

Gayle said...

I love it too - and what comfort it will give to her in the coming weeks. It's kinda fun to work in a color palette that's out of your norm once in awhile, huh?

Mimi said...

This is such a pretty quilt.

Quilter Kathy said...

Awesome job! Such a cheerful looking quilty hug!

antique quilter said...

an amazing gift, I am sure it will help get her into remission soon. so glad your sewing again….
missed your posts
Kathie

Lori said...

That's awesome! I bet it will bring her much comfort in the days ahead.