In my last post, I shared my shame with my inability to complete projects. What I left out of the equation was falling down the rabbit hole known as Pinterest. I avoided Pinterest with all of my might for a very long time. I had a long established habit of bookmarking photos, tutorials, recipes, and websites that interested me. It worked. I didn't need or care to change to something else. But I realized that the computer on which I stored this mass of information was becoming VERY unstable. When it dies (and it surely will) all of those bookmarks will be forever lost to who knows where.
So I opened a Pinterest account, added the Pinterest app on my phone and set out to get all that information in a place where I could find it without depending on a particular device. Simple but time consuming. And heck as long as I was there, I might as well look around and see what all the hubbub has been about. I started 'following' a few folks to see where their pins might lead me. Oh dear, now look what has happened . . . .
I found this pinned on Linda Brannock's board. I love and admire her work. I vaguely recalled some abandoned blocks I had stuffed in the bottom of a scrap bin from a quilt that just never went anywhere. When I dug them out, I discovered I had 14 and the start of 2 more. It was like kismet. I pulled out a fabric from the stash for the inner border. Just enough for that and a binding. Added the wide muslin border, selected a back from the stash.
*voila* Another top for the 'Basket of Incompletes.' If you happen to be a fan of infomercials, at this point you will be so excited because . . . . . . wait there is more!
The Lone Star top that I shared in the last post was originally supposed to have a different border treatment. Half log cabin blocks set on point. I trudged through making the half loggies, but just couldn't muster up any excitement toward piecing them into the intended borders.
So I took the lazy way out, used straight borders on the Lone Star to get that top ready for the 'Basket of Incompletes.' Then turned to Pinterest for inspiration for my orphan blocks.
Here's what I have so far.
I have a total of 36 of these blocks. When it's all assembled, I'll have a top that is 60" square. Something about wide expanses of muslin seems to be calling my name these days. I can always tea dye, if I want to later down the line. And I'm using up some stash. Viva 'Basket of Incompletes!'